The First Presbyterian Church in Clinton was organized in 1858. It was of the Old School doctrine. The building was located at 111 West Green Street.
On February 18, 1866, a church of New School doctrine was organized under the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church U.S.A. This First Presbyterian Church met in the County Courthouse until they purchased their own building at 303 North Second Street on January 20, 1869. As a result of the Old School and the New School churches reuniting nationally in 1869, the two congregations in Clinton merged March 12, 1875.
The lot on the southwest corner of Third and Franklin Streets was deeded to the First Presbyterian Church in 1881. Until they built a church in 1883, they had services over a store on the west side of the square.
Meanwhile, the Clinton Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized March 4, 1867. Their church building was located on the southwest corner of Second and Green Streets. They built a new brick building in 1877.
When the Cumberland Presbyterian and Presbyterian Church U.S.A. reunited nationally in 1906, the local churches joined as one congregation at the frame building at Third and Franklin. Fire damaged the church in 1913, and a few years later it was demolished. The congregation used the Cumberland Church building at Second and Green until the present brick structure was completed in 1926.
The Mt. Carmel Cumberland Presbyterian Church, organzized in 1888 west of Clinton, united with the Clinton Church in 1941. The Coal Presbyterian Church east of Clinton, united with the Clinton Church in 1952.
In 1972, the entire church building was remodeled, inside and out. Central air conditioning was included. The sanctuary's decor featured new lighting, carpeting, cushioned-seat pews, dropped ceiling, and a renovated choir area. In 1975, lots west and south of the church that had been acquired over the years were turned into paved off-street parking and a play area for children.
In 1990, a project was begun to update the 1926 building and provide access to all. On September 18, 1994, a new addition was dedicated. It provided a fellowship-recreation hall with seating for 150-200, a new kitchen, a parlor, restrooms and storage. The basement of the existing building was remodeled into classrooms, the church office and the pastor's study. The building now has ground level entrances and elevator access from the ground level to the basement and sanctuary.
In November of 1997, a large area of the sanctuary ceiling fell, thankfully, on a Monday. The main beam in the sanctuary was found to be sagging about six inches in the center. A $50,000 gift from a benevolent fund of a deceased church member, "The Feaster Fund," was earmarked to pay for the repairs. On March 1, 1998, the sanctuary was rededicated, even more lovely after the renovation. The new and renewed facility is used daily by the congregation and the community.
In 2008, September 27 and 28, the church celebrated 150 years of ministry as we remembered the past and celebrated the present and are now looking forward to the future. The Sesquincentennial Years 1858 to 2008. The celebration began with an Open House and Ice Cream Social on Saturday, September 27th with a power point presentation of the history of the church displayed for everyone's viewing. On Sunday,September 28, The Reverend Charles Spencer, Executive Presbyter of Heartland Presbytery spoke at the morning Worship Service. All pastors who had served the church in the past were invited. A Celebration Dinner was served following the Worship Service in the Fellowship Hall followed by an afternoon celebration service in the Sanctuary. The Messengers of Faith singing group entertained guests during the afternoon service. Guest ministers and other special friends took part in the afternoon service. It was an historical time to remember.